2.06.2009

Sunset

Today, my department chair came into my classroom, sat down, and rapped with me for a while about lesson plans, books, job security; we briefly mentioned the economy and the massive budget cuts our school district is facing: $17 million.

He said, "The Chinese have a saying: 'May you live in interesting times.' I think that we're living in interesting times."

Turns out, that Chinese saying is actually a curse. It's the first of three:
May you live in interesting times.
May you come to the attention of those in authority.
May you find what you are looking for.

That's what I want this blog to be about: interesting times in the recession, in the days of President Obama, in the world of education. My classes are already close to 35 students in 10th and 12th grade lit. classes, and yet, I face a hiring freeze. Several teachers are going on maternity leave, not to be replaced, and my position, as a temporary teacher, will probably be cut. With a moment of joy and then a catch of breath, my new dream job could be gone.

May we live in interesting times.

No comments:

Post a Comment