12.16.2010

december swimming

Last weekend, we rented a yurt at Cape Lookout on the Coast. The wind howled and the rain fell most of the weekend. We went out on the beach and pretended we were human kites in the wind until we were soaked through, and then we went back to the yurt and watched movies (we set up the projector on the top bunk and hung a white bed sheet from the wall) and cooked food. On Sunday, I put on a borrowed wetsuit with hood, booties, and gloves, and I waddled out to the beach like a penguin. I was dreading getting into the water, but I had to try it out. Skeptical of the ability of this wetsuit to keep me warm, I walked gingerly into the waves. The wind was still fierce and the rain was sideways. The water on the Oregon coast is horribly cold. I'm used to body boarding for hours at the Outer Banks of North Carolina. I've never gone swimming here. Until Sunday. As soon as I stepped into the water, I realized: I want a wetsuit!!!! I jumped in the waves and frolicked and played while Brian laughed at me from the surf. He warned me that I would want one, and he's right; I do, I do, I do!

3 comments:

  1. that sounds awesome! i've never gone ocean swimming in december except in hawaii. i'm really surprised a wetsuit makes that much difference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh god this picture is darling. We love it.
    Santa and Jingles

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must wear this more often! It sets off your smile quite well. Glad you didn't include a pic of Brian in his wet suit.

    ReplyDelete