1.30.2012

move, breathe, dance!

For my Monday blog posts, I would like to attempt to continue with reflection on my goals and aspirations; while I practice setting realistic goals with achievable steps to fruition. I also need to practice self-forgiveness for those days when I just don't complete my goals. Like yesterday. I woke in Seattle; I helped some kids with their homework; I made breakfast for five people; I shopped; I drove home; I did some school work; I hung out with one of my dearest friends the whole day long; we did a face mask; we made stir-fry and noodles; we went to a potluck; and none of my goal goals were completed--and yet, what a wonderful day!

But I do need to focus my attention on two particular areas: finances and physical health. Between buying a house, moving into that house, planning a wedding, and taking classes, my finances are in a state of slight disruption, but I am at a point where I can make some sound decisions and start cutting the fat a bit, and I'll be fine. But that is goal one: Get my shit together financially.

Secondly, I am out of shape! I'm not overweight, and I'm not self-conscious about how I look. I just feel lazy. I hate saying no to activities because I feel like I'm not fit enough. I despise feeling tired and sluggish and old. So I am going to start incorporating more movement into my life.

For the financial goal, I'm going to rethink some things, but obviously, just trying to live on more of a set budget and cutting back on some of the holiday thrills and frills. Perhaps another frugal February, like last year, with no eating out, no drinking out, no unnecessary expenditures.

Physically, my plan is to do cardio at least three times a week, to meditate twice a week, and to do yoga once a week. I've been on a fairly strong start: last week I ran three times, went to yoga once, and meditated once. Tonight, I went to a cycle class at the PSU gym, where I get in for free, and already am formulating plans for yoga, swimming, eighties dancing, and snowshoeing.

Finally, and probably a bit impossibly, I want to read Swamplandia! by Karen Russel and Under the Skin by Michel Faber by mid-February, in addition to trying to read more essays and poetry. I always want to read more, but I feel that now, with a PSU class that requires little energy, one of my best friends gone for six months, and the move over, I have time to set some tough reading goals for myself. And of course there's the reading on chickens, ducks, permaculture, homesteading, and bees that I want/need to do to plan the new yard/garden!

So I will report back next week on how I'm doing, with the ultimate goal being that they become an essential practice for me and I can then incorporate new aspirations. I can say that even after only one week of being more active, I feel my mood uplifted and I feel exponentially more hungry for running, biking, walking, riding, snowshoeing, and dancing!

Other goals for when these become habits: writing more, planning the wedding, sewing curtains, embroidery, maybe finally learning to knit, more photography, and turning our yard into a little urban farm with ducks, chickens, bees, maybe rabbits, cats, veggies, fruit, Novella Carpenter style.

No comments:

Post a Comment